>Vessel General Permit (VGP) FAQ’s


Does this final permit apply to me?
This final VGP applies to discharges incidental to the normal operation of all non-recreational vessels of 79 feet or greater in length. In addition, the ballast water discharge provisions also apply to any non-recreational vessel of less than 79 feet or commercial fishing vessel of any size discharging ballast water.
What is generally required?
The permit incorporates the Coast Guard’s mandatory ballast water management and exchange standards, and provides technology- and water quality-based effluent limits for other types of discharges including deck runoff, bilge water, gray water and other pollutants. It also establishes specific corrective actions, inspection and monitoring requirements, and recordkeeping and reporting requirements
Are the requirements consistently applied nationally?
No. Under the CWA Section 401 certification requirements, if a State believes that any permit condition(s) more stringent than those contained in the draft permit are necessary to meet the applicable requirements of either the CWA or State law, then the State may include those condition(s) in their certification. A number of States have incorporated additional conditions into the permit. See the VGP, Part 6 for these additional conditions.
Why is EPA issuing this permit?
This action is in response to a District Court ruling that vacates, as of December 19, 2008, a long-standing EPA regulation that excludes discharges incidental to the normal operation of a vessel from the need to obtain an NPDES permit.
How can I get copies of the permit and other related information?
o The Permit and Permit Fact Sheet are available on EPA’s webpage at www.epa.gov/npdes/vessels.
o Publicly available docket materials are available electronically through http://www.regulations.gov/ after the FR notice is published (expected publication date no later than 31 DEC 2008)
Who can you contact if you have questions?
o EPA HQ: Ryan Albert, (202)564-0763; Juhi Saxena,(202)564-0719; or e-mail CommercialVesselPermit@epa.gov
o Region 1 (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT): Sara Green, (617)918-1574 or e-mail greene.sara@epa.gov
o Region 2 (NJ, NY, PR, VI) James Olander, (212)637-3833 or e-mail at olander.james@epa.gov
o Region 3 (DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV): Mark Smith, (215)814-3105 or e-mail smith.mark@epa.gov
o Region 4 (AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, MS, SC, TN): Marshall Hyatt, (404)562-9304 or email hyatt.marshall@epa.gov
o Region 5 (IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI): Sean Ramach, (312)886-5284 or e-mail ramach.sean@epa.gov
o Region 6 (AR, LA, NM, OK, TX): Paul Kasper, (214) 665-7459; or e-mail at kaspar.paul@epa.gov
o Region 7 (KS, NE, MO, IA): Alex Owutaka, (913)551-7584 or email owutaka.alex@epa.gov.
o Region 8 (CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY): Sandy Stavnes, (303)312-6117 or email stavnes.sandra@epa.gov
o Region 9 (AZ, CA, HI, NV, AS, MP,GU): Eugene Bromley, (415)972-3510 or e-mail bromley.eugene@epa.gov
o Region 10 (AK, ID, OR, WA): Cindi Godsey, (907)271-6561 or e-mail godsey.cindi@epa.gov